Monday, January 2, 2017

PROBLEMS WITH PIECING

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had wonderful holidays.  Now it's time to get back to routine.  Have you made any New Year's resolutions?  I haven't, but I have decided that I need to concentrate on being a better piecer.  Do you remember this block above?  I made this block last year.
And I made several more.  I just willy nilly pieced and put the blocks aside.
Yesterday I made this block.  Then it occurred to me, Maybe I should check and see if all my blocks are the same size.  They were not.
So I spent the next few hours unstitching three of the six blocks that I had completed.  Actually, I unstitched the one in the previous photo and you can see that I have put it back together.  As I remade the block, I measured each square and measured after each seam that I sewed.  And the block came out a perfect 12 1/2" square.  Gads, why can't I do it like the others in the Charity group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  They sew and never seem to have to measure or unstitch and resew.  What am I doing wrong?  One thing I know is that when I move from machine to machine (the Janome I use at home and the smaller one I carry to the shop) I need to make sure I use the same seam width. (Sometimes it is hard to remember did I move my needle over two or three stitches).  So I wrote that down on a piece of paper and pinned it to my other blocks.  Maybe that will help.  I still have these two blocks to put back together and then want to make three more blocks before I make them into a quilt.  I think the Charity group that meets first Monday at the Attic Window Quilt Shop will like it, once I finally get it done.  Does anyone else have suggestions on how I can make my piecing easier and better?  

Happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Shop
  • Charity Quilts, Monday, Jan. 2, 10-5
  • Tuesday Bee, Tuesday, Jan. 3, 10-1 
  • The Bee Hive and the Cook Book BOM, Wednesday, Jan. 4
  • Doll Bee, Thursday, Jan. 5, 10-3
  • Sampler & Bee, Saturday, Jan. 7, 9:30 - 4
ON ANOTHER NOTE: 
    Caroll,
    Caring , Sharing and Creating Smiles

    1 comment:

    Lynn said...

    Do you have a quarter inch foot for your machines? I find this is much easier than having to remember to move the needle over. I use my #37 foot on my BERNINA for all piecing. Leave the needle in the default position (middle) and use the edge of the foot as a guide. There are also seam guides available that stick to your machine, tacky and magnetic versions. A low-tech version is to measure over 1/4" from your needle and put a stack (6-12) of post-it notes along the edge of the ruler. This will act a temporary seam guide. Masking tape works too but there is no "wall" to run the fabric against with masking tape.

    lkjlkj

    Attic Window Teachers

    Attic Window Teachers
    Attic Window Teachers

    Quilting for Kids With Cancer

    Quilting for Kids With Cancer
    Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

    Quilts For Wheels

    Quilts For Wheels
    Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
    Quilting Bloggers Logo