Tuesday, November 1, 2016

SUCCESS AND FAILURES MAKE FOR A GOOD COOK?

 Robin is participating in the Quilt Block Cookbook BOM at the Attic Window Quilt Shop and has sent me some tips for making this month's block. I wanted to share them with you.  Above is one of the squares in the block that she made.
This is what Robin said about how she made this square.  She made this drawing above so you can see what she did.

"Here is my first attempt. I listened to what Chris said when she was demonstrating how to do paper piecing and used larger fabric pieces then cut down to the correct finished size. Also instead of adding 1/4  inch all the way around on the template, I  added 1/2" to the top and one side.
There's hope for me yet!"

 Robin said that she did have a little mishap.  She trimmed the squares too small.  So she decided to make those trimmed pieces into something useful.  Above is from the miss cuts.

  This one is made from the scraps when making the QST squares.  She's pretty clever, don't you think?
I didn't have problems with the paper piecing square but it was with the QST square.  As you can see my pieces did not line up correctly.  In fact I had to make these squares twice because I goofed when making the QST squares.  Why?  Well, if you go back to this post, you can see how the pieces were to be placed and stitched and then cut.  I think I have a eye-to brain problem, or something, because I stitched and cut them wrong. 
 
Above is my final block, which is not square.  Ugh!  Maybe some day if I continue to try this piecing stuff, I'll be able to make nicely pieced blocks.

As for those left over pieces...as you can see I had quite a few. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet.  I sure hope all of you in the BOM and those of you following along online have more success with this block than I did.  I hope all these little mistakes that I've shown you today will help guide you when making this block.

JINGLE BELL HOP:

Don't forget to stop in at the Attic Window Quilt Shop and pick up your Passport for the Jingle Bell Hop which takes place from Nov. 11 -19.  Passports are only $5.  Along with the purchase of a passport you will get a free pattern, store discounts, and your name will be entered into daily drawings.  Each shop will offer a grand prize of a $50 gift certificate.  You won't want to miss this!!!

SALE, SALE, SALE
  • Don't forget:  There is an awesome sale going on at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.   All fall fabric, fall patterns, fall books are on sale for 20% off now through Nov. 5!!
Happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Sho
  • Chicadee Window Quilt, Wednesday, Nov. 2
  • Doll Bee & Pajama Pants, Thursday, Nov. 3
  • Sound Wave Bag, Friday, Nov. 4
  • Sampler and Bee, Saturday, Nov. 5
  • Charity Quilts, Monday, Nov. 7
  • Happy Scrappers, Wednesday, Nov. 9
  • CHANGE: Craft Days has changed.  They are: Saturday, Nov 26 and Friday, Dec. 2.  Sign up now!
Be sure to check the calendar on the sidebar for happenings this week at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: http://patchthegiraffe.blogspot.com/2016/05/twisted-nines-tutorial.html
Caroll,
Caring , Sharing and Creating Smiles

1 comment:

Denice Barker said...

Well, I admire you for continuing to try. I see blocks that need to be pieced and just walk away. I pick my needle up and applique

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo