Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A QUILTER'S GARDEN YOU MUST SEE

Above is Carol DeVries, a quilting friend who likes to garden.  I had heard about Carol's garden, so, on Tuesday, Cathy and I went to take a look.  I was running late and forgot my camera but Cathy had her phone and took pictures for me. Above, Carol stands in her garden beside this beautiful Hemerocallis (I think that is what she called it).

This breath taking scene is what we saw as we got out of our car.

 I was drawn to these dark leaves and yellow flowers in this Dahlia 'Mystic Illusion'.   I may not have its name correct, but Carol can tell you the names of all her plants, including the scientific names. She is an Advanced Master Gardener and past president of both Grand Valley’s Dahlia and Daylily Societies.

Most of Carol's garden is in the shade but she has some sun loving plants too.  I was in awe of the variety of plants and leaves and contrasting colors.  I think the above is a Castor Bean plant.

I was taken by this beautiful white flower hidden deep within these dark leaves.  It is Oriental Lily 'Legend'.

Above are the remains of an Allium schubertii flower head.  I would love to have seen that in bloom.  It is huge!

As you walk along the winding paths through the garden you see various yard art.  It is so cute!  And like everything else in the garden, gives just the right touch.

Above, you can see what I mean when I talk about the variety in leaves and texture and color.  This is on the ridge.

Carol stands along a path in her garden surrounded by beautiful perennials.  Notice the variety in leaf size and color.  As I walked along the path I felt a sense of quiet and calm and great joy.  

The American Hemerocallis Society has designated Carol’s garden a display garden.  Carol said, “To be one I had to meet their requirements and be inspected by a garden judge.  They are a nation wide organization.  Mostly it is the official daylily organization - makes it sound more approachable doesn't it?  Being a display garden means it is open to the public, but they need to e-mail me at carolydevries@gmail.com to set up a time to visit."
As we were leaving, I spotted this little pond.  I thought it was for water plants, but Carol explained that it is how she keeps her plants watered if she is going to be gone for a day or two.  I'll let her tell you all about how and why she does this.

A special thank you to Cathy for taking the pictures.  And a heart felt thank you to Carol for this wonderful tour of her garden.

ATTENTION
  •  In-Store Special Fat Quarter Day At the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  Buy ten and get two free.  Buy ten Batik fat quarters and get one free.  Mark your calendar now for AUGUST 5 (one day only).  You won't want to miss this.
  • Mark your calendar NOW!  Quilts On The Grand is October 7-9 at The DeltaPlex.
DON'T FORGET these happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Shop
  • Fat Quarter Special Day, Friday, August 5
  • Stitch-In, Friday, August 5
  • AQS Quilt Week in Grand Rapids, MI, August 10-13
Be sure to check the check the calendar on the sidebar for happenings this week at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
  • This might be of interest to those of you attending Art Prize in Grand Rapids.  An Evening of Fashion and Fabric with Edyta Sitar.  Read about it here.
Caroll,
Caring , Sharing and Creating Smiles

No comments:

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo