Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A PAPER PIECING TIP

I made this block for the queen of a Bee Hive that I belong to.  The pattern is Cross Point Quilt from the book Vintage Quilt Revival.  I love how the block turned out.  In fact, I was excited when I learned that I would be paper piecing this block because then I knew all I had to do was just stay on the lines as I sewed and the block would turn out to be perfect.  NOT!  The problem is, the block was supposed to end up at 12 1/2" unfinished.  Mine is ended up as a solid 12" block unfinished.  HOT TIP!  Be sure and check your guide when printing off the paper pattern.  You know, that little line on the pattern that looks like this |____| = 1".   I now understand that you should measure carefully to see that that line actually is one inch long before you print off any thing else and especially before you start to sew.  I didn't do that, assuming that I'd never had any problem before with my blocks printing off the correct size.  Well, you know what they say about people who assume.  Anyway, I have asked the Queen to send me a couple more of those light blue strips, then I can remake this block so it will end up the correct size.  Oh, joy!

NOTE:
  • The Bees In The Attic is being formed.  It is a new Bee Hive at the shop.  We could still use another member to make it an even dozen.  Call the shop to sign up and find out about the group.  Our next meeting is May 25.  This is only a one hour meeting, but you can stay and sew with us if you like.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW: 
  • Pineapple Ruler, Thursday, May 19
  • Stitch-In, Friday, May 20 and Saturday, May 21
  • UFO Day, Monday May 23 (note change in date)
  • Bee In The Attic, Wednesday, May 25
  • Come Sew With Me, Wednesday, May 25
  • Folded Star, Thursday, May 26
Be sure and check the calendar on the Sidebar for more happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Shop this week.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
  • Leah Day has a video tutorial and a free basket weave pattern
 ♥ Caroll, 
Caring , Sharing and Creating Smiles

1 comment:

Annie said...

Oh dear!!! Good tip! I most likely would have assumed just like you did and ended up with the too small block. But I sure like the block design.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo