Thursday, January 21, 2016

PRACTICING FOR PERFECTION

Cathy and our friend Kat are participating in the Mighty Lucky Quilting Club.  You can learn more about it here.  When I saw what Cathy and Kat are doing, I decided to try it.  You can see Cathy's finished piece here. I think the object for this first block is to make your own bias tape and create a block with it.  Although I am not participating in the club, when I saw what Kat was doing I decided I had to try it.  You can see Kat's quilt squares on Instagram under Hexiekat.  Anyway, I'm a copier and pretty much copied what she did.  Above are two of my four blocks.
After I had the four blocks together, I again followed what Kat did for two reasons.  The block looked too plain as it was.  I needed to practice my free motion quilting and this was the perfect project for that. Above you can see my try at free motion quilting.  I really, really need to practice on those pebbles.
This is a close up.  I hope you can see it.  I plan to finish FMQ on the other two blocks this weekend.  If I get the binding on it I'll take a picture and post it next week.  If you are looking to improve your skills I would recommend you try this.  Remember, practice, practice, practice.

 DON’T FORGET:
  • THE HEART OF WINTER TOUR, Saturday, February 13.  Call the shop and make your reservations now as seating is limited.  
MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW:
  • Four Patch Fun – Friday, Jan. 22
  • Scrappers Helping Hands – Saturday, Jan. 23
  • Come Sew With Me - Wednesday, Jan. 27
  • Quilt As You Go – Thursday, Jan. 28
  • London City Bag – Friday, Jan. 29  London City Bag, Friday, Dec. 11  http://westmichquilter.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-class-act-at-attic-window-quilt-shop.html
  • Heart of Winter Tour – Saturday, Feb. 13
  • Spring Craft Days – Friday, Mar. 18 and 19
Be sure and check the calendar on the Sidebar for more happenings at the Attic Window Quilt Shop this week.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
♥ Caroll, 
Caring , Sharing and Creating Smiles

4 comments:

Barb said...

Great idea to do free motion quilting practice on it! I did a cardinal on a bias tree branch. You can see mine on instagram barbpost17 .

Jayne said...

Love the quilting! Practice is something I need to do a lot of! I've tried bias tape once, but hope to give it another go one day!

Michelle said...

These look like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

Allie-oops Designs said...

I think your FM looks amazing!!! I've only tried it a couple of times and decided I'd much rather hand quilt, lol....you're rocking this!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo