Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WHAT IS IN YOUR STARS?

I just started reading the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.  Somewhere in the first few chapters I read how people can tell a lot about another person without even meeting them but just by observing their dorm room or bedroom.  Wow!  I looked around my sewing room today and wondered what it says about me…Slob?  Messy?  Disorganized? 

Oh, well, too bad.  I'm sewing today and I'm not going to clean and organize, mainly because once I do that it takes me months to find things.  Since it is another snow/sew day around here I’ll show you what I worked on instead of cleaning my sewing room. 

Recently I realized I had nothing to place on my table during July.  When I saw this red stripe fabric and the fabric with white stars on a blue background at the Attic Window Quilt Shop, I knew it would be simple to make a table runner with these fabrics. Above is a close-up before it is quilted.
 I didn’t have a pattern, but simply cut things to the size I needed.  However, I did want to add some larger stars to spice things up a bit.  I added three stars but am now wondering if I should add more and if so where.  I did some auditioning before I quilted it and couldn’t figure out a pleasing arrangement, so I just gave up and went with the three.  I flipped it up on one side so you could see the backing.  Binding goes on tomorrow (unless I’m able to get out of the house).
I did want to tell you about how I appliqued the stars.  Remember on yesterday’s post, the link to Blue Susan Makes shows you how to use fusing to make the pieces of the heart.  I normally use the freezer paper method when doing applique.  However, I gathered my courage and decided to try this fusing method on my stars.  After all, it was only three stars and still allowed me to turn under the edges, which I like.  I have to tell you that this was an excellent technique!  It was so easy to use my iron to push the fabric in place at the V points.  However, I must admit that I did have a little trouble getting those outer points right. Perhaps it was because it involved several layers of fabric.  I had to use a layer of woven interfacing to keep the dark background fabric from showing through the stars.   I think I need to work on making those points.  Once I have it perfected I’ll post about it.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: 
Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Love your runner! I'm glad you tried that appliqué technique. I wondered how it would worked. It sounded really good, but sometimes things sound better than they actually are. I will have to give it a try.

Mary said...

What a great table runner. You did a good job on your design.

Annie said...

Fabulous fabrics for your runner and your design looks awesome. Not over done nor under done ... just perfect.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo