Sunday, November 23, 2014

ARE YOU IN A DOLL MAKING MOOD?

 I love Altoids and have collected these tins for years.  Today I decided to use some of these tins for Christmas gifts.  I would make little dolls to go inside them.  My great granddaughters could put them in their pockets and take them wherever they go.  I searched the web for a pattern.  I could swear I had seen a picture of someone else putting a doll inside a tin.  But I only found patterns for animals and I wanted a doll for my little grand girls.  So, I decided to make my own pattern.
 Let me tell you the most difficult part about making that doll was not designing the pattern, it was turning those tiny pieces inside out and stuffing them!  Ugh!  I wanted a doll with arms, and almost gave up on that idea, but then finally got them turned and stuffed and attached to the doll body.  Above, I placed the pieces beside my snippers to give you an idea of how small these pieces are.
 Here she is all put together, even with a little skirt!
 And here she is in her little tin.
 I made some bedding for her.  But thought something was missing.
 So I found some beads and made her a pair of earrings!
 Well, I knew I could not make another doll like this.  In fact, I felt this doll not appropriate for my very young grand girls and decided to make a doll out of felt.  I sewed the sides by hand and stuffed the doll as I went along, so there was no need for turning.
 However, because it was felt, I had a difficult time creating her face.  When I went to the hospital today to see my 90-year-old friend, I took my dolls along in their tins so she could see what I had been doing.  When I showed her the above doll, she said, "But it has no arms."  I agree.  It needs arms.
Here she is in her little tin.  I'll think about adding those arms later.  Ugh!  I don't feel I accomplished a thing today.  How about you?  What did you do this weekend?

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
  • The Jingle Bell Hop has been decided to EXTEND through Tuesday November 25; from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
DON’T FORGET:
  • There are two Craft Days scheduled this year at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  This has always been a popular event and in order to accommodate everyone, Chris added a Craft Day to the calendar.  You can attend on Saturday, November 29th, or Friday, December 5th.  Just call the shop and let Chris know which you would like to attend. 
ON ANOTHER NOTE
  • Sew Simple Gifts has a tutorial for a hanging potholder dish towel.  This would make a great hostess gift!
Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

2 comments:

sew.darn.quilt said...

These are so cute! Your grand daughters will love them :)

Mama Pea said...

Cute. I love little stuff that fits in Altoid tins!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo