Thursday, October 2, 2014

ARE YOU AS FREE AS A CHILD?

Recently Cathy and Robin asked me to help out at a local Montessori school.  A small group of 7th and 8th grade children were doing appliqué.  I became very excited about being able to talk about and show my appliqué projects.  While searching for samples, I found the above modern block.  I’m sure I have shown this before, probably a few years ago, but figured if I forgot about it, maybe you did too.  I like the modern feel of this piece and there is appliqué on it. 
However, when I arrived at the class I discovered the students were doing fused appliqué and making a wonky town and really didn’t need my help.  They seemed confident in their abilities and I was impressed with their creative, no-fear attitude.  There were three females and two males in the class.  Above one of the male students uses the sewing machine for the first time.
Another male student lays out his wonky town.
Then he placed the buildings as he wanted them onto a dark background fabric.  Note the airplane flying over the town!
One of the female students had made this theater building as part of her town.
And this is another student’s work.  The kids were great and so free in their creating.  I don’t think they had to ever be told go get out of their box.  I admired the way they could use scissors to freehand cut a building and not worry about how “perfect” it was.  I wish someone would have taught me that I didn't have to always be perfect!  It was really a fun class and I learned so much from the students.  I hope I get to go back!

DON’T FORGET
:
  • I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted yesterday.  The West Michigan Quilter’s Guild Quilts On The Grand show is Friday, October 3 through Sunday, October 5, at the Delta Plex!  You won’t want to miss this.
  • On Thursday, October 9th at 10:00 A.M., Vickie will be holding a finishing class for her spiral lone star for anyone who has previously taken the class with her and who needs some extra help with the finishing steps. 
  • Shop Swap – Attic Window Quilt Shop and Quilted Memories – October 19 and 26
ANOTHER NOTE:
Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

4 comments:

Barb said...

What a fun class to go too....I am sure you were a lot of help and full of suggestions.

Lynn said...

Their blocks are great! What fun to get to visit with them.

Annie said...

Wow, the kids did great. They're very inspiring too.

Allie said...

I LOVE your modern block, the flower is the perfect touch! And I am amazed at how creative those kids are - wow, I think they could give ME lessons. I think I need to designate some fabric as "play" fabric and not worry about cutting it up any old which way....

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo