Thursday, June 12, 2014

IT IS A WONDER HOW SHE DOES THIS

I stopped at the Attic Window Quilt Shop today to take pictures of Vickie’s One Block Wonder class and was blown away.  I told all my friends I had too many UFOs to start another project and definitely was not taking this class.  However, before I knew it I was drooling.  The first thing I saw when I walked into the shop was this quilt that Vickie made.  It is really table topper size, but I was stunned, not only by its beauty, but by the fact that she made it last evening after she went home from Happy Scrappers!
I became even more astonished to learn that she made that beautiful quilt from the above fabric!  How did she do that?  Vickie said that the One Block Wonder quilt is made from a single piece of fabric cut in rows. I think you’ll be surprised when I say there is no fussy cutting involved!
Above, Sue and Laura work on cutting their strips of fabric.
This is one of Laura's blocks.
And these are Sue's blocks.
This is what intrigues me.  Above is Peggy's fabric.

This is just one block from that fabric.

And these are three more blocks that came from that fabric.  It is amazing the various blocks you get from a single piece of fabric!  And I repeat:  There is no fussy cutting involved!
Joan's single piece of fabric is on the right.  Check out one of her blocks on the left.
These are two more of Joan's blocks.  I'm astounded at the difference in these blocks all from the same piece of fabric.
Above is Diana's fabric.
This is one of Diana's blocks.
And this is another of Diana's blocks.  Are you surprised?  I am.  They are so different and they do not look like they came from the same fabric!
Rosa used fabric covered with a fish design.
These are her blocks.  Can you believe this?
Cathy chose a batik fabric.

She made this block.
And these blocks were made by Cathy too!
These are Judi's blocks.  I didn't get a picture of her fabric, but you can see these blocks are uniquely different!
You can go here to see the quilt that Vickie made that started it all.  As I have said before, Vickie is an excellent teacher.  She comes prepared with lots of mock ups so you can see the various ways to make the quilt.
She is a hands-on teacher too, helping you every step of the way.  Above others observe as Vickie helps Peggy with her quilt.

This One Block Wonder quilt is a two-day class.  I know there is another class currently on the calendar and Vickie said that if more are interested in taking the class, she'll add another session on the calendar.  Call the shop if you are interested.  You won't be disappointed!

 ANOTHER NOTE:
  • Did you go check out the Row By Row Shop Hop website?  This is a must for anyone traveling this summer.  You won’t want to miss it. 
  • The Inbox Jaunt has a tutorial for a modern looking paper pieced allium flower.
Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll


1 comment:

Lynn said...

The best part about these quilts is playing with your cut pieces. It is so much fun seeing all the different blocks you can make with them. The fact that you are using only one fabric is mind blowing. My theory on these quilts is the uglier the fabric the more gorgeous the blocks will be.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo