Monday, March 4, 2013

MISSING MODERN MONDAY

I’m missing Modern Monday, so even though that quilt-along is over, I’m going to do Modern Monday anyway.  When I visited the Quilting Edge blog I fell in love with what Mari does and decided to follow her directions to make a quilt as you go.  Last year I started collecting striped fabrics.

Above, is a close-up.  This quilt as you go process was fun to try, especially creating the individual blocks.
Another close-up.  Attaching the blocks was a snap too.  Can you tell where the blocks were attached together?  As the quilt grew, I did have some difficulty attaching the long rows, especially the last row when the quilt was full size and heavy.  Maybe I'll use a lighter batting next time. 
Here it is on the back of my couch where I’m trying to brighten up this room with the beige walls and beige couch and beige carpet! I think it adds the color I'm looking for!
 And here is the full quilt.  I love how this quilt turned out.  Since I have plenty of striped fabrics left, I thought I’d use them to make some place mats or pillows.  Mari has some really nice tutorials so why don’t you give Modern a try.

 On Another Note:   Mark your calendar NOW!  Jodi Barrows, author and creator of the amazing Square in a Square technique, will lecture, demo and have a Trunk Show at the Attic Window Quilt Shop on Thursday, April 11th from 6-9 p.m. Call the Shop to reserve your seat as space is limited.  More info to follow in future posts.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow Caroll! You did a great job! It's gorgeous!

Annie said...

Caroll, your modern stripe looks fantastic! I love Mari's quilts too. You have done her proud! Yes, if this quilt isn't enough added color for you, nothing will do then. LOL

Denice Barker said...

I really, really like that stripey quilt. Once I retire I'm adding QAYG to my list. The list is long!

Ivory Spring said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Caroll! You have changed my mind about stripey fabrics!

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, Caroll, what a fabulous quilt!! Love the colors and the stripes and the quilting!!! Whoop whoop!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a great quilt! And it surely does brighten up your room. ;)

Karen said...

Wow - your stripes are amazing! In my mind a quilt made of purely stripes could be a bit migraine inducing and just shouldn't work but you have proved me wrong, great job! :o)

Mama Pea said...

I love all your stripes! I never would have guessed that they would play so nicely together. That is cool. You are amazing. It's a great quilt!

Annie said...

Caroll, your quilt looks so amazing! It's quite inspiring as well. I have so many stripe fabric left overs from my Stripey Squares quilt, this is inspiring me to use them up in a similar quilt design. Awesome quilt, well done!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo