Thursday, November 29, 2012

WHAT TO DO WITH ORPHAN BLOCKS

The other day I was rummaging in my sewing room for a pattern to make a hot pad to go along with some kitchen utensils that I had purchased as gifts.  While digging around, it occurred to me…why not use one of your orphan blocks.  I certainly have plenty as I like to try new blocks in the hopes of someday finding a block that matches my piecing skills (LOL).  After auditioning several, I chose these two blocks.  Fortunately, I found enough of this same fabric that I used in these blocks to make the bindings.
However, I had to use scraps for the backing.
I used Insul-Bright plus batting for the centers.  It made them nice and puffy.  I like how they turned out and hope my friends do too.
Remember these from my previous post?  I stopped by the Attic Window Quilt Shop today and understand that several people who didn’t get to attend Craft Saturday are interested in making these project bags.  Chris said that she is having another class, so, if you would like to attend, call the shop for details.

On Another Note:  In My Own Style has a great trick to help you get your closet hangers organized.

Crafty Endeavor has a nice tutorial for a rice shoulder heating pad.  This is a great gift idea.

PS:  I'm linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Attic.  Check it out.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

6 comments:

sew.darn.quilt said...

Those orphans are down right purdy!
What's a body call that design and the fabric, that is absolutely wonderful?

Karen said...

Great way to use those left over blocks. They look great.

Lynn said...

Great minds think alike! I made hot pads from orphan blocks too recently. Love yours!

Mama Pea said...

I love your potholders! Another craft day??? :-)

Michele Bilyeu said...

Darling potholders! Almost too pretty to use!

And I am so delighted to say that I made such fun use of another of your orphan blocks! Just now getting it finished and donated for my favorite charity cause! Thank you so much for the block and the lovely bits of fabric.

Lynette said...

Whoa - those are the most gorgeous hotpads I've seen. Seriously. :) I'm sure your friends will love them!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo