Monday, January 23, 2012

MODERN MONDAY BLOCK QUILT ALONG


It’s Modern Block Monday Quilt Along time.  Above is my block for this week.  I thought I had followed the directions exactly, but true to form, I must have done something wrong because my 6 ½ inch square block turned out 6 x 6 ½ inches.  I made a quick decision – I’m not doing this over – and sewed white strips on the short sides.  I think it looks okay, don’t you?

I did want to show you another block.  It's not a Modern Monday Block but while surfing Sunday I noticed a block that Wayne Kollinger had on his blog.  It looked interesting and I wanted to try it.  Using the same fabrics I’m using in Modern Monday blocks, I made the above block.  It wasn’t easy and I had to make those rectangles several times before I got them to come out right. I like this block because you get an optical illusion with it.  It looks like the grays are curved, but they are not. It does remind me of a bird in flight.  You’ll have to check out Wayne’s blog and see all the different designs that you can do with this block.  It’s amazing.  Before you do that though, don’t forget to check out Lynn’s Modern Monday block and then head over to Jennifer’s blog and get the pattern for this week. 

Be sure and check the sidebar for all the upcoming classes this week at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  And don’t Forget:
·       Snow Days at the Attic Window all during January. Get a free snowman pattern and snowflakes and discounts. 

·       Heart of Winter Tour is Feb. 11.  Reserve your place now! 

Carter Quilter has some cute heart patterns for you
Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Your block looks great! Nice solution to make it square. I love the pop of blue!

Mama Pea said...

Interesting that you had the same problem as Lynn. Must be a problem with the instructions. I love your solution! It looks great. I think I have some of that flowered fabric! I just love your fabric selections for this. I also really like your block from Wayne's page. I wonder what it would look like with several of them put together!

Susan said...

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about this SAL, and I like to post about them on quiltbom.blogspot.com, so I'll add this one, too! I like the blocks it shows at the bottom, as well, in the might-be-interested part.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo