Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SOCK SWAP QUESTION

Do you remember what it’s like when you join a new group for the first time…you are hesitant, it is scary, you are unsure, questioning yourself – will they like me, will I do something stupid. That’s kind of how I felt when I joined our guild. It is a large group and everyone seemed to know everyone else and I didn't know anyone. However, I was determined. I had heard that Mary Lou Weidman was going to be a guest speaker and teach classes. I signed up for both classes. I was still apprehensive as I walked into the classroom, and relieved to see a much smaller group. Mary Lou was wonderful, of course, but my greatest joy was meeting Vicky Ferguson who sat at the table just in front of me. She made me feel welcome and was so helpful in showing me the lay of the land. Vicky is a dietitian who writes a column for the Grand Rapids Press. We have remained in contact since, so when I saw that Mary Lou was having a sock swap I e-mailed Vicky thinking she’d want to join too. I was right. We were not in the same swap group, but I still got one of her socks. Above is the sock she sent me as a thank you for telling her about the swap. Her lovely thank you note also told me about the fabric she used in this sock. It is from Mary Lou’s “Bee Happy” line for Benartex. Isn’t it beautiful! Thank you Vicky for your thoughtfulness. I love this block. You’re a great friend and prove what I always say, “Quilters are the best.!
These are the blocks that I received from my Sock Swap group. Note the various sizes. I’m not sure how I’m going to put this quilt together. As I was pondering, a picture came to mind of the blocks in a circle, feet facing out, going in one direction. Another picture was of the socks scattered all over with feet tilted every which way, maybe some even upside down, and words somewhere saying something like, “these socks were made for dancing,” or “rocking at the sock hop.” So, here's my question:  What saying would you put on this quilt?  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Crazy Lady Quilt Designs has some cute patterns that include recipes!  You won't want to miss these!


Stay Positive!
Caroll

6 comments:

Mary said...

New York Sockafella's

Barb said...

Love the socks....

Sock it to me Momma??? Ha!!

Mama Pea said...

Caroll, I know just how you feel, because I've experienced it, too, recently! (Joining a group and all.) And then you find some people to hook up with. My circle is expanding in my guild. I'm up to four or five people I know now. haha.

I love your sock blocks! I especially like that you have one going the opposite direction. You have some good ideas for words. I love the sock hop one. That would be so cute...put "sock hop" somewhere on it and have the socks dancing around it.

Rock 'em, Sock 'em! (Remember the boxing robots toy?!)

Can't wait to see what you do!

Allie said...

How sweet of Vicky to send you a sock of hers! I love them all - I really like the idea of them scattered, and I love the "sock it to me" comment that Barb said. Reminds me of the old Laugh-In days. Me and my dad used to watch that show...whatever you do, I know it will be wonderful, Caroll!

Linda said...

Yes, quilter's and quilt bloggers are the best!! Sounds like it was so much fun! Love the socks!!

Vicky F said...

Hi Caroll,
You didn't know this, but when you mentioned on the blog that you were going to be in Mary Lou's Hoochy class the next day, I was so excited because there would be someone there I "knew" and could talk to (even though we had never really met yet).
I think blogging has expanded many quilt friendships!
Thanks for being nice!
Vicky F

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo