Tuesday, August 24, 2010

DO YOU HAVE A BATTING BUDDY?

If you didn’t get to the Attic Window Quilt Shop last Friday night, you missed a huge sale and wonderful demo. The Crazy Days of Summer sale was fantastic. Everything 30% off! Where else can you get a bargain like that? Above, Barb David (seated at sewing machine) demonstrates how to use the Batting Buddy. The Batting Buddy is a special template to help you cut and place batting and backing. This quilt-as-you-go technique allows you to complete the quilting as you assemble your blocks. Barb did a great job and even though there were four sewing machines set up, people were standing in line to get a chance to make a block. This technique allows you to make a quilt of any size, and we found several other items to make with the Batting Buddy: Placemats, needle case, hot pad, notebook cover. The ideas are endless. Stop in at the shop and pick up your template before they are gone.

I should have taken pictues of some of the finished blocks, but I was waiting in line with my hands full and didn't want to get my camera back out. So I'll have to show you my mistake. I think I was so excited to try a new product that I didn’t pay attention to what I was supposed to do with what was in the kit. This is my attempt, which was a big NO, NO.

The block should have looked like this with the white fabric on the back. I don’t know where my brain was, but when I picked up my fabric kit, but I forgot to put the fabric on the back. Duh! You need to add the backing so the entire block is quilted when you are finished. As Barb says, when you’re done, you’re done.

I took my mistake home and gave it another try. This is what it should look like when finished correctly.

I’m going to make a needle case out of mine.
.
Anne Kata has the greatest idea for using up those small pieces of fabric. Check her sidebar too. She has a featured tutorial on how to make your own summer sandals. Awesome.

Until next time,
Caroll

4 comments:

Allie said...

That looks fun - oopsie and all, lol - wish I'd been there!

Mama Pea said...

Neat. I'd like to see how it's similar to/different from the technique that Betty Cotton uses...

Micki said...

I wish that I could have attended that...It must have been lots of fun!
Micki

Nancy Page said...

This looks great. Wish I could have been there to see the demo. I will have to look into this further. Love the block you made. Makes a great needle case.

Have a super great day.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo