Sunday, January 24, 2010

HOW TO USE UP THOSE SCRAPS!

How would you like to make this heart tablerunner at no cost to you? You can do that by using your scraps. Use up that batting too; just butt and zigzagged pieces together. I love “making fabric” and you will too. It’s so easy.

When I cleaned and reorganized my sewing room, I also sorted my scraps. I put the long strips in one pile and those I would cut into squares in another pile. I was left with a pile I didn’t know what to do with. I sorted them by color and put the various colors into bags. This is my pile of red scraps.
The other night I was bored, and figured I had better do something to keep my hands busy so I wouldn’t eat. I went into my sewing room, grabbed a bag of red scraps and started sewing pieces together. I would slice off a jagged edge so I could attach another piece. As the new “piece of cloth” grew, I had to decide what to do with it. Since I was using red, and Valentines Day is nearing, I thought a heart appropriate. I didn’t know how many hearts I could get out of the pile, but I just plugged away.


This is the tablerunner that I ended up with. Mary Lou Weideman says that quilters put their projects aside when they lose the mystery. Using your scraps in this manner is a mystery from beginning to end. This project is still sort of a mystery because I need to figure out what to use for the binding. I think it will make a nice gift, don’t you?
.
Speaking of things to do with scraps, check out Freda's Hive She has a nice string tutorial. I love her idea and am going to try it next. Make fabric for free!

Until next time,
Caroll

21 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the hearts!

Martina said...

Turned out really cute! Love it .. and those scraps!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Barbara Sindlinger said...

This is a really cute project and what a wonderful use for all those mysterious pieces we keep.

Vicky F said...

Hi Caroll,
Great show and tell! You're loosening up!!

Now I'm feeling like hitting my scrap pile.

I agree that it would me a good gift (my sister's birthday is 2 days from Valentine's day). Hmmmm...

Vicky F

Allie said...

Caroll, that is absolutely darling and how fun that it's made from scraps!

SewCalGal said...

Very cute. Great idea for using scraps too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

ladybelle said...

I think it's gorgeous. I like your idea.

Joanne said...

Great idea! The table runner is beautiful.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Joyful Quilter said...

I love your table runner! I just got done paper piecing a heart table topper and have all of these odd shaped scraps left over, this is a perfect way to use them up. Great Idea!

Nima said...

wow...gorgeous

Anonymous said...

Sweet hearts...and we do pay good money even for the scraps. :-)

Nancy Page said...

Caroll, you are coming up with some great ideas for using scraps. I want to do them all. Thank you for sharing these ideas. The hearts table runner is wonderful, so bright and cheery, just right for a Happy Valentine's Day.

Have a great day.

Micki said...

I love hearts! Yours are so pretty!
Micki

Shelley said...

Caroll, I was noticing yesterday the lovely idea for using strips in the hearts. You're one of the reasons I got to pondering about scrap strips and then ended up blogging about it!LOL LOVE LOVE LOVE the hearts!

bingo~bonnie said...

I love this - perfect for decorating a bedroom for Valentines... just drape that runner across the top of a dresser or TV cabinet! ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Sandra said...

s is a wonderful project

Nanette Merrill said...

Absolutely perfect. I love making my own fabric. It gives the eye so much to look at.

SheilaC said...

wOw!!! What a gorgeous table runner made from stuff we may have thrown away.....
Great job!

SHeilaC

Unknown said...

Wow fantastic... Love the hearts :) So much color and an awesome way to use up your scraps :)
M

Sparky said...

This design won me over... a big reason why you just had to be part of our banner...sew congrats..I love it...did you get it done yet...?

Mary Lou Weidman said...

LOVE how you kept the mystery in the hearts and made true art! We all want a runner I am sure! great job

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo