Thursday, October 8, 2009

THOSE CRAZY ARTISTS ARE AT IT AGAIN

I know this is not quilting related, but I had to show you Nessie, Grand Rapids’ version of the Lockness Monster. Have your heard about Art Prize? It is an art contest going on in our town and has received national attention. Nessie is a 100-foot sculpture that weighs 5000 pounds and sits in the Grand River. I just love creative people.



This moose is completely made of nails and stands well over my head so he must be at least 6 feet. Imagine putting this together one nail at a time!!



An artist put this painted table and chairs on top of the bridge. People are already talking about another contest next year. Artists of all mediums entered this contest. I think someone should enter a quilt. What kind of quilt would be attention getting, would be something special to make the judges sit up and take notice? I am open to suggestions.


Now back to quilting: Do you like primitives? Check out The Chocolate Crow Trader for lots of free patterns.

Piece In The Hoop has a nice tutorial for making those bags that I blogged about earlier. I like how she did the handles and did her embroidery on the side. Very nice. Check it out.

Until Next Time, Happy Quilting,
Caroll

5 comments:

Kimberly Mason said...

All quilts all the time can get boring, don't you think? Thanks for posting this art, I doubt I would have had the opportunity to see it otherwise! Keeps my creative brain stimulated.

I enjoy visiting and subscribe to http://www.dudecraft.com because he brings such a great variety of artistic wonders.

ladybelle said...

I heard about the art contest on the national news. How great to have it in your city! I made a pillowcase for Barb--wanted to use your pattern but didn't have enough fabric. I seldom buy a whole yd unless it's for a quilt back, then I use it all.

Anonymous said...

Try thinking of a way to make a quilt out of recycled materials that can be exposed to the weather, like plastic shopping bags or food bags (candy, cheese, etc.) I saw a blogger who used parchment paper to press layers of plastic together to create a "fabric" they could sew.
http://pipkinhouse.blogspot.com/2009/09/back-in-session.html

Carol

Micki said...

Thanks for all of the pics. They were inspiring!
Micki

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I wish we had that kind of art contest in our town. We had an amazing art installation called "Another place", 100 iron cast sculptures by Antony Gormley, on one of our beaches. I love art in the public place.

Nessie is so cool!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo