Tuesday, June 23, 2009

LESSON TWO


Why Every Woman Needs a Needle

Lesson 2: Quilting is a group sport (we already knew that). Around the world quilters gather to socialize and sew. Books are written about them. Movies are made. The world is full of wonderful quilters who are eager to share their knowledge. If there is something you need to know how to accomplish a quilter will eagerly help you whether it is quilting, child rearing, recipes, etc. They are there in sickness and in health. When my 90 year old mother moved in with me, my quilting friends were emotionally supportive. They helped me to laugh about things I might otherwise cry about. Sometimes my conversation with my mother could be depressing. Like the day I came home from work and our conversation went like this:

Mom: That man said he'd be here for breakfast in the morning.
Me: What man?
Mom: I don't know. The man on the phone.
Me: You answered the phone? (she’s hard of hearing and usually doesn’t even hear the phone ring, much less answer it)
Mom: Yes
Me: Who did you talk to?
Mom: That man.
Me: Who was it?
Mom: I don't know.
Me: I thought you didn't answer the phone.
Mom: Well I did and he said he'd be here for breakfast in the morning.
Me: I wish when you answered the phone you would find out who you are talking to.
Mom: Well, I'll just stay in bed in the morning and you can entertain your men friend on your own.

Later when I shared the experience with my quilting friends they laughed. And I found I could laugh too. Not at her, but at me for being so impatient, so wanting my mother to be the strong, capable woman I remembered her to be when I was a child. They helped me to look at things differently and love my mother for who she is now.

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude to what happens to you.” Brian Tracy
Tomorrow: Men with tools are sexy.

No comments:

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo