Monday, June 22, 2009

LESSON ONE




The other day when I opened my e-mail from Oprah’s Home and Decorating Newsletter, an article caught my eye. Why Every Woman Needs a Hammer. Well and good. Hammers are nice. But this got me to thinking. What every woman really needs is a needle. So I’ve created my 5 lessons on life as to Why Every Woman Needs a Needle. Each time I post I will add the next lesson. Here is Lesson One.
A needle is the constant that carries the thread through life. I’ve been sewing since I was a young child, so young I don’t remember running the treadle sewing machine needle through my finger but my mother tells me I did. I used to sew doll clothes and as I grew older, graduated into making my own school clothes. When I took Home Ec class I made a blue corduroy dress and wore it for my class picture. I still remember how the collar flared up in a way I thought so sophisticated (I was in the 7th grade). Then when I had children of my own I made their clothes. Mothers didn’t work back then. I even sewed my husband a suit once. Only once. I think that once was probably how many times he wore it too. I sewed later in life when I went into the work world, hurrying home to sew up a seam or two during lunch hour. Then the time finally came when I could afford to buy my clothes, but the need for a needle continued. That’s when I took up quilting and happily sewed small patches together to create works of art. Even after retirement and when my 91 year old mother came to live with me, my needle continues to be my friend. The steady rocking motion of sewing helps me remain calm, maintain my sanity, and see the beauty in the world.

As a wise man (Aristotle) once said, “Happiness belongs to the self sufficient. “ Are you a self sufficient needler?
Tomorrow: Quilting is a Group Sport

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

How true. The needle and thread does string us through life! Whether sewing garments, darning socks or making quilts to warm our families.

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a series of posts, I look forward to more!

I could have replaced my name for yours in this mini biography - except I would have to replace your blue corduroy dress with my blue strapless knit (elastic waist and top) dress with the side slits so deep that I scandalized my boyfriend's mother and embarrassed myself.

I thought everyone had a mother and/or grandmother that sewed and taught them how and I'm always surprised when I find a student in class that has never even sewn on a button! (yes, I AM that naive)

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great post! Love it.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo